Hennebery Eddy Architects crafted an extensive renovation of Pietro Belluschi’s International Style building in downtown Portland. Originally constructed as a Federal Reserve Bank building in 1950, the transfer to private ownership required a complete analysis of all building systems and code compliance, along with new energy-efficient heating and lighting systems. The Reserve renovation and expansion complemented the original building’s simple forms, clean lines, limited materials, and restrained detailing while creating a transparent and accessible entrance, new lobby, and a new 8,000-square-foot penthouse.
“Hennebery Eddy’s restoration of the landmark Pietro Belluschi-designed federal building in downtown Portland […] gave the building new life even as it honored the beautiful and historic original structure.”
— Brian Libby,
Journalist & Architecture Critic