A few years ago, our office began the tradition of stocking our architectural library each year around the holidays, as a sort of year-end gift to ourselves. This year we added 22 new titles to our collection (despite being in desperate need of a bigger book shelf ). These books contain exquisite photography, drawings, and diagrams; and they inspire and enlighten us with the ideas, technologies, and works of architecture that are shaping our profession.
Some of our early favorites:
Nordic Light: Modern Scandinavian Architecture by Henry Plummer
Towards Zero Energy Architecture: New Solar Design by Mary Guzowski
Design with the Other 90%: Cities by Cynthia E. Smith
Neutra: Complete Works by Barbara Lamprecht & Peter Gossel, ed.
And the books we’ll get to know better over the next 11 months:
- Landform Building: Architecture’s New Terrain by Stan Allen & Marc McQuade, eds.
- Bijoy Jain – Spirit of Nature Wood Architecture Award 2012 by the Wood in Culture Association
- Lake / Flato: Buildings & Landscapes by Thomas Fisher, Glenn Murcutt, & Oscar Riera Ojeda, ed.
- Five North American Architects An Anthology by Kenneth Frampton
- Allied Works Architecture / Brad Cloepfil: Occupation by Brad Cloepfil, Sandy Isenstadt, & Kenneth Frampton
- Ten Arquitectos: Enrique Norten: The Limits of Form by Alejandro Hernández Gálvez
- Architecture Naturelle by Alessandro Rocca
- Modern Architecture: Photographs by Ezra Stoller by William Saunders
- Inspiration: Contemporary Design Methods in Architecture by Mark Muckenheim & Juliane Demel
- James Turrell: Geometry of Light by Gernot Bohme et. al.
- Contemporary Follies by Keith Moskow & Robert Linn
- Beautiful Evidence by Edward Tufte
- Life Between Buildings: Using Public Space by Jan Gehl
- Detail in Contemporary Timber Architecture by Virginia McLeod
- Colleges & Universities – Educational Spaces by Sibylle Kramer
- The Academic Library Building in the Digital Age: A Study of Construction, Planning, & Design by Christopher Stewart
- Sustainable Preservation: Greening Existing Buildings by Jean Carroon & Richard Moe
- Design Engineering: Adams Kara Taylor by Hanif Kara & Michael Kubo, ed.