At 220,000 square feet, Cordley Hall is one of the largest buildings on the Oregon State University campus and is the long-time home to the Departments of Integrative Biology and Botany & Plant Pathology. A contributing resource in OSU’s Historic District, the building was constructed in two phases starting in 1956 and is now in critical need of a comprehensive renovation. Our historic rehabilitation and biology laboratory design will evolve Cordley into a world-class learning and research environment while making comprehensive upgrades to building infrastructure, efficiency, safety, and accessibility.
Exterior improvements include brick repair, full window replacement, and the addition of a grand porch and canopy at the main entrance, which will restore the envelope and re-establish Cordley’s connection to the rest of campus. Inside, we’ve designed modern teaching and research labs, classrooms, offices, and support facilities. Open, flexible learning and collaboration spaces — sorely missing from the original design — will be integrated on every floor in the form of meeting rooms, study nooks, and lounges.
The project is one of the first to go through OSU’s Requirements for Sustainable Development program and is tracking LEED Gold equivalency. Advocating equity, we designed gender-neutral restrooms, intuitive wayfinding, and a universally accessible lecture hall. The driving concept of “science on display” inspired increased transparency at all labs and teaching spaces, prevalent hallway exhibits, and biophilic design features like natural materials and biology-inspired artwork. OSU’s expansive, museum-like natural history resources – including renowned arthropod and herbarium collections – will be curated and publicly displayed to share the excitement and wonder of science.