A principle design goal in rehabilitating the Spalding Building was to retain its historic integrity while incorporating contemporary materials and systems. Designed by Cass Gilbert, an architect of national renown in the early 20th century, the Spalding Building was constructed in 1911 and originally housed the Ladd and Tilton Bank. The bank’s original vault doors were restored and designed into the new lobby, and the new metal ceilings were inspired by the building’s historic bank vaults. The building entry, formerly a dark vestibule with thickly framed storefront, was opened to full width with glass doors and thin brass frames. Restrooms and corridors were renovated, and existing bank vaults were reused as bicycle parking for a generous bike commuter and fitness facility featuring lockers, private shower rooms, and exercise equipment. Other building-wide improvements included a new entry canopy, new elevator equipment and cabs, mechanical upgrades, and new tenant corridors. In addition, Hennebery Eddy prepared historic tax credit applications and new commercial tenant design standards for the building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a designated Historic Landmark by the City of Portland.